Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Welcome Back!

So after two months of off-the-mat time I have finally returned to the uchi deshi program to a warm welcome. And when I say warm I mean that deep burning sensation that one gets when a muscle and tendon group in the rotator cuff (namely the right one) tears and the shoulder joint begins to fill with fluid...mmmm fluid. I was doing my damnedest to ease myself back into the torrent that is New York Aikikai but I seemed to have failed mightily at this task. The trick was that everyone I used to train with on a rather aggressive level was so excited to see me that things got a little out of hand, hehehe.

When it comes down to it, it really was a fault of mine. Granted the throw in question was quite rough, I was not prepared for it when I should have been and I lost control of myself in mid air and landed, basically, on my armpit. I landed on my right side with my right arm up against my head which put my ear in a perfect position to hear the crackle of what I assume was the tendon pulling away from my shoulder.

For those of you who haven't heard my schpiel about that particular part of ukemi, here we go. For ANY kind of ukemi you must must must keep your free arm close to your body. This is the arm that usually reaches the mat first, the arm that is not being used to throw you. Your arms should certainly never be raised more than 90 degrees and I prefer to keep them under 45 degrees if possible. I know I should practice what I preach but this just reaffirms what I've been saying for a while now. KEEP YOUR ARMS CLOSE TO YOUR BODY!

Long story short, I went to a doctor (thank god I set myself up with health insurance a few months ago) took some x-rays, poked around and have been directed to go to physical therapy for 3-4 weeks. The Therapist says that this type of injury will esentially be a permanent injury unless I deal with it right away. Usual day to day recovery time is 6-8 weeks but for the aikido fanatic he said that with patience and therapy I can be on the mat in 3-4 weeks.

Just frustrating, I take lots of time off to let my body heal and this is the first thing that happens my first week back. Shit. Be careful out there, it doesn't take much and it happens quick.

2 Comments:

Anonymous a friend said...

Mike, I'm so sorry to hear that, Please do all you can to heal that injury, especially in terms of staying off the mat and letting your body enough time to recover.
Maybe you should also consider Acupuncture treatments as well (I know there is a clinic in Pacific College of Oriental Medicine just 2 blocks from the NY Aikikai location. Take care.

9:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why such things are referred to as accidents. You knew what you had to do but, for whatever reason, you were unable to do it. In this case, it sounds like Mike had help. The nage should have been more mindful that you had not been practicing as much during your vacation and thus should have taken more care. Or perhaps nage thought you were so good that you'd nevertheless be able to take the ukemi. There are other possible explanations as to why your injury took place but I suppose no explanation can cure you except perhaps for the physical therapy recommended by the doctor. I hope you feel better soon so you can get back on the mat and start enjoying the practice again.

4:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home